I am trying a new meal. Turkey Barley Soup. Ground turkey, that is.
Cook time: 90 minutes (because the barley takes a while to be ready)
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 quart of beef broth, low sodium
- 1 quart of water
- 7 oz diced tomatoes (optional) (about half a can)
- 1/2 cube of vegetable bullion
- 1/2 cube of beef bullion
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon curry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Everyday Savory Spice Mix from “//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=qf_sp_asin_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=graceyoga-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=1611802296&asins=1611802296&linkId=a4125fa1856d447854c8b92c0bc4bdad&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=false&price_color=333333&title_color=0066C0&bg_color=FFFFFF“>The Everyday Ayurveda Cookbook” by Kate O’Donnell (If you don’t have this book, I highly recommend it!)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Winter Spice Mix from the same book.
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pepper, to taste
- Dill, to taste (optional)
Sauté the onions and celery in ghee. When the onions start to become clear add the ground turkey. Stir in all the dry seasonings (except the bullion, bay leaves, and dill) and let them cook until the turkey is browned. Add the beef broth, Worcestershire, bay leaves, water, and bullion cubes. Stir in the barley.
Bring to a boil, add bullion, then set to simmer. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in the carrots and tomatoes (optional) and continue to simmer for 30 more minutes. When serving sprinkle dill on top to taste.
So, I like to look up recipes and then make them my own. I was inspired by Beaker’s Vegetable Barley Soup recipe.
This one is pretty easy. I was a little surprised by how long it took to cook the barley. Now I know! What is posted here is how I made it. I may end up changing a few ingredients and spices.
If you do try it, let me know how it turned out for you.